While the nation is on healthy eating plans and detox diets, we discover how to clean the air in your home with flowers for a fresh start to 2018
Sometimes illnesses and allergies can stem from somewhere very close to home; our homes. Toxins from paints, glues, detergents, smoke, insulation and (ironically) cleaners and beauty products, accumulate around the home. We then breathe them in, on a daily basis.
However, NASA studies show that plants can help improve the quality of our indoor air, absorbing excess carbon dioxide and pollutants through their leaves, and releasing fresh oxygen. They are like living air purifiers.
While it’s still a bit too chilly to open the windows for a burst of spring clean, we suggest adorning your home with these flowers and plants…
Although small, Peace Lillies pack a punch when it comes to air cleaning. They are easy to care for and require minimal watering, and will flower throughout most of the summer. NASA’s analysis of indoor houseplants revealed that the Peace Lily was the most efficient at removing airborne Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), including formaldehyde, trichloroethylene and benzene. Don’t place in direct sunlight, but instead find a shady spot, give it a little water from time-to-time and you have yourself a beautiful-looking air cleaner. Be warned however, that this plant ironically is toxic to humans and pets if ingested.
These plants are popular and inexpensive and enjoy being in direct sunlight. The colourful blooms not only hep freshen the air, but also brighten up the room. According to the NASA survey, Chrysanthemums are champions when it comes to removing our air of ammonia, benzene, formaldehyde. and xylene. These are however poisonous to animals, so if you have pets either place them out of reach or choose another from our list below.
These beautiful and now widely-available plants are an excellent choice when wanting to freshen up the air inside our homes. They remove xylene and realease oxygen at night, making them a great one to keep in your bedroom especially. And they really aren’t as high maintenance as everyone thinks. In fact, they are quite hardy, and are beautiful too so will be a gorgeous addition to any room.
These bright flowers native to Eastern Africa are more commonly found outside. However, they are actually great to keep in your kitchen, bedroom or laundry room, because they’re very effective at removing trichloroethylene (a chemical found in dry cleaning solutions), as well as benzene and formaldehyde, according to NASA. These plants thrive on lots of light and moist soil, and are hardy enough to survive a range of temperatures.
If you aren’t green fingered, then this might not be the plant for you, however it is exceptionally effective at helping remove airborne formaldehyde, ammonia, toluene and xylene. The evergreen plant with gorgeous flowers requires plenty of direct light and moist soil and enjoys high humidity, so you might want an air humidifier in your home to prevent it falling below 50% and your Anthurium potentially dying. Again, this plant like others mentioned, can be poisonous to both people and pets if ingested.
This plant is famed for its healing properties for skin complaints, along with its health benefits when ingested. However, it also has the potential to help remove formaldehyde to give you fresher, cleaner air to fill your lungs.
These plants are excellent for removing toxins such as xylene and formaldehyde from the air, making them a great one for your kitchen or near your fireplace/log burner to help remove the carbon monoxide which can accumulate in these areas. Spider plants are easy to keep; they like bright, indirect sunlight and you will be rewarded with shoots with pretty flowers, which will grow into baby spider plants.
According to NASA’s research, this houseplant absorbs airborne toxins, including formaldehyde, nitrogen oxide, benzene, xylene and trichloroethylene. These require little maintenance, minimal watering and can endure periods of low light, but do prefer bright light. These too can be toxic to pets if ingested.